The title of this--my very first--post is a quote of Pablo Picasso and it puts in a nutshell what I will do to fill this web space. I will be in and around New York City as an exchange student from now until Christmas this year and I will "find" art.
Art is a topic in my life since I was small. In my grandfather`s house there was hardly any inch which was not occupied by a work of art. My parents collect art as well and with them I often visit studios of artist friends and exhibition openings. Going to museums has been among my favorite activities for many years but recently I turned this hobby into my profession and worked in a well-known German museum for several years until July of this year. By now I am not only curious to dive into the world`s probably most exciting art capital but I am also looking forward to discover art for a while again only for the joy of watching. There have been many good reasons to pick New York as my temporary home but first of all I picked this city because of how I imagine its art scene to be: wide-ranging, iridescent, top-class as well as upcoming, infinite and arcane. I will not only be teached at University--I hope my perception will be educated as well by the art I am going to find in the museums, galleries, off-spaces, streets and parks of New York.
This blog will be the home of my thoughts and findings on the art around me. Although the greek philosopher Plato believed that writing in general destroys memory I think writing this blog will help me to recapitulate and archive my experiences because my memory tends to fade or blur without fixing it in written words. As blogs in general are a responsive and participatory medium, I will be very happy about comments as well as recommendations where to go in New York to experience more art.
Happy reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment