Friday, 3 October 2014

Dear library, I don`t get it!

I really like my university's library. They have a huuuuge variety of books, especially when it comes to art books. There are two shelves full of so called coffee-table books. Da Vinci, Kandinsky, Monet, Mondrian...everything that makes an art lover heart jump. But everytime I take a book off of these shelves and turn around to sit down on one of the couches, my eyes start hurting because I see this:


Whether you like this sculpture or not, it is a piece of art. It is a designed object.  It is NOT a blackboard for labels. I know it's kind of trendy to costume sculptures on special occasions. But THIS is not very creative. Why the hell does the library invest in buying a sculpture but steal its expressiveness by hanging a label on its arm? The sculpture has its own statement. It could inspire students. But with this label it is only an extended arm of the library staff to communicate that students should be quiet. If it would be a label saying "Do not touch the sculpture" at least...

1 comment:

  1. Indeed a great point which only an art lover like you could notice and make. I have myself seen this thing hanging on the sculpture but never thought as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete