Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Portrait Bust of Mademoiselle Marcelle Lender, 1895
I show Marcelle Lender, a French singer, dancer and entertainer who was made famous by the drawings by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Just like Toulouse-Lautrec was so Marcelle Lender a protagonist of the bohemians in Paris in 1900. They both lived in the district of Montmartre,
a notorious district in Paris’s 18th arrondissement that held special appeal for a number of the most well-known modern artists. Having preserved its original rural flair, it represented a counter-world to the mundane Paris of the “belle époque.” (SCHIRN Kunsthalle)
I picture Marcelle Lender live on stage. This can be recognized by the yellow flickering light surrounding her. I figure Marcelle a little frivolous, in lateral profile, with fiery red hair and bare-chested. When I was published in a newspaper, this was a scandal -- and made Marcelle Lender famous.
At the moment I am not on show--an exhibition of my creator at the Metropolitan Museum unfortunately just came to an end--but because it is his birthday today, I wanted to take the occasion to congratulate him.

No comments:
Post a Comment