The City:
theatre, archive and museum, repository of history, collective and personal
memory, a palimpsest, a stage, the dynamic space of encounters, the crossroads
of global movement and migration. Last
week I talked to a researcher from New School, a New York City University. She
currently researches in the field of city design (which relates to the creative industry and therefore tsomehow to art, and this is why I am writing about it) and shared some interesting
thoughts with me. Forms and conceptions of city life have produced their own
epistemologies--what one might call urban ways of knowing. Today cities are increasingly determined by
creative industries. This leads to the phenomenon that urban planning is less
often than in former times driven by master plans, and more frequently ruled by
informal planning processes. Urban design, interim utilization, appropriation
and participation are the terms of the moment.
Urban gardening, community
design, self-empowerment and the right to the city movement have also changed
the relevance of cultural policy and the role of art and cultural management in
city planning. During the next weeks I will have a closer look in NYC if I can find examples for the influence of cultural policy and management in city planning.

No comments:
Post a Comment